Account Executive, Employee Benefits
Location: United States
The Account Executive interacts with clients on a day-to-day basis while developing and maintaining relationships with both client and carrier representatives to develop and execute on the client’s benefit strategy. The Account Executive will research, analyze, and evaluate medical, life, disability and other benefit plans and serve as the benefit expert to clients. The Account Executive is the primary point of contact for clients and will have indirect supervision of team members, review work for accuracy and delegate work and projects to other members of the team to ensure client deliverables are timely and accurate. The Account Executive is responsible for revenue growth – client expansion – on their personal book of business and assisting producers and team with prospecting new clients, including proposal development.
The qualified candidate must have strong knowledge across the spectrum of employer-sponsored health & welfare related plans, including federal and state regulations that impact these plans.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Subject matter expert on Health & Welfare Benefits, vendor/carrier products and services including, but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and voluntary
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with reference-ready clients, prospects, and carriers
- Keep clients apprised of appropriate industry trends and events, including all state and federal regulatory issues
- Proactively anticipate client needs and bring forward strategies to address their challenges
- Understand and utilize Risk Strategies resources and tools to maximize efficiency
- Project manage book of business including planning, delegating, and meeting deliverable timing
- Understand fundamental underwriting concepts in order to communicate funding alternatives, impact to rates, and cost drivers
- Manage request for proposals and renewals - negotiate with carriers and make recommendations to client
- Oversee open enrollment process for clients
- Ensure client is fully compliant with all regulations to which they are subject
- Accountability for all work product provided to client across the AE’s book of business, including ensuring client updates are made within appropriate software (e.g., BenefitPoint, EPIC, etc)
- Review work, provide feedback and mentor junior team members
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA/BS preferred
- Life, Accident and Health Insurance License required
- 5+ years of health & welfare experience, meets, or exceeds, core practice competency-based skills
- Client-facing experience in the employee benefit industry
- Technical knowledge of benefits administration, HealthCare Reform, industry trends, carrier products and services
- GBA or CEBS Certification a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly sit, hear, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
- The work environment characteristics described are representative of those employees performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Occasional travel
Risk Strategies is the 9th largest privately held US brokerage firm offering comprehensive risk management advice, insurance and reinsurance placement for property & casualty, employee benefits, private client services, as well as consulting services and financial & wealth solutions. With more than 30 specialty practices, the firm serves commercial companies, nonprofits, public entities, and individuals, and has access to all major insurance markets. Risk Strategies has over 100 offices and nearly 5,000 employees across the US and Canada.
Industry recognition includes being named a Best Places to Work in Insurance for five consecutive years (2018-2022) and to the Inc. 5000 list as one of America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies. Risk Strategies is committed to being good stewards for our company, culture, and communities by having a strong focus on Environmental, Social, and Governance issues.